Manual section: templates (mostly piano)

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Manual section: templates (mostly piano)
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2004 14:52:28 -0700

Hi all, this is your new Documentation Editor. I've been using LilyPond since 2001, and have been around on the mailing lists (off and on). I'm a string player (cello teacher, amateur violist) and string composer. So far I've written two pieces that involve a piano, and one piece that involves vocalists.

As such, my grasp on LilyPond piano and lyrics isn't all that strong. That's where you come in. If you're a pianist, or at least know more about piano than me (not hard :), have a look at the new manual section on Piano Templates: http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.3/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/ Piano-templates.html#Piano-templates

I've deleted templates from the old "templates" section as I've included them
in the manual; right now there's three templates (all piano) remaining.
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.3/input/template/out-www/collated- files.html

In your opinion,
- do we need to keep all three templates? Right now I'm thinking of only including the piano-dynamics template; the manual section would be a bit too
long if we had five templates in it.
- is piano-dynamics.ly a good template? Could it be simplified? I'm not certain when that template was created; could it be simplified using some of
the neat new stuff in 2.3 right now?
- other comments about the Templates pages? The jazz combo template needs
a bit of work, and I'll be adding an intro page about the templates, to
ease the transition between the tutorial and the templates.

I'll probably be asking for help from lyric writers in a few weeks, when I
look at those sections of the tutorial / manual.

Oh, and does anybody know how to get a dump of all wiki messages? I'd like to merge documentation-related messages that people have left in the wiki
into the manual, but I'm finding wiki a bit confusing.

Cheers,
- Graham