lyrics: multiple words to one note?

From: Robinson P. Tryon 03
Subject: lyrics: multiple words to one note?
Date: 30 Aug 2004 01:44:32 EDT

I'm typesetting my college's alma mater (copy from 1908 :-), and I'm facing a
little problem with the lyrics.

The piece is for TTBB + Piano, and there are three stanzas of lyrics between a
treble and bass clef (tenors and basses).

The problem is that the lyrics do not match up completely with any of the
parts.
The melody is in the 2nd tenor, and in one measure they hold a dotted half note
while everyone else sings "(give a rouse,)" on shorter notes.  In a later
measure, the 2nd tenor is the only part singing "For the sons of ... ".

Reading the documentation on lyrics, it seems that you can (could?) specify
duration for lyrics:

- - - - - - - - - -
For example,

       \lyrics { Twin-4 kle4 twin- kle litt- le star2 }
- - - - - - - - - -

Could I do something like that here?  (Hopefully just for the couple of measures
where it doesn't line up quite right, if that's possible)

My other idea (which seems like a hack) was to create an invisible staff with
the correct rythm (g8. g16 g4 g g g8 g ....), and then link the lyrics to that
staff instead of Tenor 2 (or another part).

My last idea was to take the non-tenor-2 part out of the lyrics (it only occurs
in one place), and do something like:

_\markup { \column { < "first verse"  "second verse" "third verse" > } }

(in the appropriate place)

Although that would probably look about as good as if I used a sharpie on my
computer screen.. :P

Actually I just had a thought -- I could just switch the notes for tenor 1/tenor
2 for that measure.  A little cleanup with \stemUp \stemDown could make it look
right, but then the lyrics would be correctly appended.  Ugly hack internally,
but unless anyone has a better suggestion?  :-)

thanks,
-- Robinson