Repeats & alternate endings with second stanza

From: Peter B. Steiger
Subject: Repeats & alternate endings with second stanza
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 17:09:44 -0600

I'm keying in some handwritten music to make a more readable copy, and
I'm not sure how to handle a second stanza that skips to a second ending
after the volta (I think that's the term).  I read up on voltas and
second endings, and I know how to enter second stanza lyrics; I just
don't know how to put the two concepts together.

It looks something like this:

introductory bars |: first stanza blah blah chorus (S) more chorus :|
first ending, lead in to second stanza

... with the words to the second stanza between the |: and :| markers,
underneath the first stanza.  Then partway through the chorus common to
both stanzas there's a \segno which jumps to the beginning of the second
ending (also marked with a \segno).

Can someone point me to an example .ly file which does all of these
tricks, or explain in words of one syllable or less how to put it all
together?  My brain hurts.

Oh, I'm using 2.3.22.

-------
Peter B. Steiger