Re: Stem length adjustment

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Stem length adjustment
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 10:31:23 +0100

??? The property stem-length only applies to notes typeset within
text markups with the \markup{ \note ... } function.

The length of unbeamed stems is determined by the 'length' property
of the Stem object. The corresponding property for notes with beams
is called 'beamed-lengths'.
These properties specify the normal length and LilyPond has fairly
advanced algorithms to calculate the actual length to give a results
that looks nice. The property that Roland mentions below determines the
minimum length of stems when there is a beam.
All this is documented if you go to the on-line documentation, section
"Stems" and follow the link to the program reference of the Stem object.

If you have problems with the notation terms in English, I recommend
the music glossary, also available from the documentation web page.

   /Mats

Roland Goretzki wrote:
Hello list, hello Donald,

You wrote:

I need to adjust stems manually so that they do not collide.
How can I do that?

In the example below stems grow longer when there are no beams (4rths)
however, LilyPond ignores stem-length when there are beams.

What can I do?

Do You want to lengthen beamed stems?
Just before about two or three hours I needed this, and after a while
reading the documentation (It's always a little bit hard for me, because
I'm not an English native speaker)-: I found a solution for my problem
with:

    \override Voice.Stem #'beamed-extreme-minimum-free-lengths = #'(1.5 1.5 1.5)

where the first number is for eights, the second for
sixteenths and the third number for 32ths (if I understood all correct).
For more than three beams You have to add more numbers.

Perhaps this is helpful to You?

Best Regards           Roland

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing