Just started with 2.4

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Just started with 2.4
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:44:57 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> I just converted to 2.4 from 2.2 and am trying to figure out how to
> recover some of the functionality.
>
> 1. In title, etc. in the header block you used to be able to force a
>    newline with \\\\ .  Now you try to use the markup specifiers but
>    they don't work quite as expected.  If you use \align-center you
>    get a two lines whose centers line up but which are not centered
>    on the page.

Thanks, fixed.

> 2. The head tag is no longer supported.  When dealing with multipage
>    music, the head tag keeps me from getting messed up when I drop
>    the pile of paper on the floor  8^).

Try setting "instrument" in the toplevel header.

The titling code was intended as a proof of concept - I don't really
know what kind of custimization options people want.  The head tag,
did it replace the entire header, or just a part of it?

>3. I used to use \\newpage as the value for piece.  This would force
>   there to be a title page and have the music start on the next
>   page.  Most of the music I am working on fits nicely into 2 sides
>   of letter size paper.  If you have the title information there
>   too then it forces the last line or 2 onto an additional page.  I
>   really hate turning pages  8^).

Lily 2.4 is able to fit more music on 2 pages than before. Check the
doc for hints on how to adjust vertical spacing.