Braces in lyrics for refrains, multiple words, etc.

From: Rob V
Subject: Braces in lyrics for refrains, multiple words, etc.
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 16:01:41 -0500

I've noticed a lot of questions lately about multiple words in the
lyrics. I played around with it this afternoon, because I could
use a solution myself. How about this idea below? I put together
Thingkcp's idea about the bigbrace markup using \lyricsto, which
also gets rid of the extra space in the unused lyric lines. Take a
look at this example. I've included a ps file, too.  I'm not exactly sure what
would be the best way to handle the stanza numbers.  I'm really looking forward
to when the lilypond developers redo the lyrics part.

\version "2.4.0"
\header {

title = "Column of Lyrics"
}

#(set-global-staff-size 19)

bigBrace = \markup { \fontsize #8 \translate #(cons -4 0) "$\lower 50pt
\hbox{\{}$" }

upperOne = \relative c' {
\voiceOne
\clef treble

c4 d e f g a b c \break
c,4 d e f g a b c
}

upperTwo =

\relative a'{
\voiceTwo
\skip 1
\hideNotes
g4^\bigBrace
}

firstverse = \lyricmode {
ah ah ah ah "1. ah" ah ah ah
ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah
}

secondverse = \lyricmode {
"2. lu"
}

thirdverse = \lyricmode {
so so so so so so so so
so so so so so so so so
}

\score{
\context Score<<
\context Staff = "upper"

<<
\context Voice = "one" \upperOne
\context Voice = "two" \upperTwo

<<

\lyricsto "one" \new Lyrics {
\set minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-0.7 . 0.0)
\set vocalName = "1."
\set vocNam = "1."
\firstverse
}

\lyricsto "two" \new Lyrics {
\set minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-0.7 . 0.0)
\set vocalName = "2."
\set vocNam = "2."
\secondverse
}

\lyricsto "one" \new Lyrics {
\set minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-0.7 . 0.0)
\set vocalName = "3."
\set vocNam = "3."
\thirdverse
}

\layout {
linewidth = 4.5\in
\context{
\Lyrics
\override VocalName #'break-align-symbol = #'time-signature

\paper {
linewidth = 4.5\in
indent = 0
pagenumber = "no"