Re: chord symbol parentheses

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: chord symbol parentheses
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 08:05:38 -0500

On Tuesday 18 January 2005 12:42 am, Charles Gran wrote:
> Is there a way to alter the behavior of chord symbols as discussed on
> the manual 5.14.1ff?  I'd like to get C7(b5) rather than C7/b5 (the b's
> being flats).

Use a space for a "chord Field Separator" and give up the idea of
/bass notes.  The alternative is to put the chords in as text, which
is what I have always done.  With \sharp and \flat it's all text.

LilyPond has two different systems of chord conventions.  One has the
unwelcome innovation of a "Chord Field Separator".  The other uses
\flat3 instead of minor(!).  I have never seen either of them in published
music anywhere, and with any luck at all I never will.  They're just
the bright ideas of the Academic of the Week.

The system developed for instant recognition.  Teachers have perverted
it to use it for analysis.  To illustrate the problem, there was even
discussion of a Cb chord.  Of course there is no such thing as a Cb chord,
it's B, period, in sheet music conventions.  daveA

--
The only technical exercises for guitar which are worthy of the
instrument consist in "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  I promise miracles.