marks, voltas, and key signatures

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: marks, voltas, and key signatures
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:28:09 +0000

Various problems I want to fix ...

Marks - I want to put some text on a barline. I thought it was "\mark \markup", but that centres the text over the barline - no use when it's a long text :-( I want the text to start over the bar, not centred. How do I left-justify a mark, or what else should I do?

Voltas - is this a bug? They're floating way too high over the staff. An "x time bar" to me should be sitting almost touching the staff. But there's a gap the same height as the volta between it and the staff. AS I say, is this a bug, or how do I move the volta down?

And key signatures. I'm not used to seeing accidentals cancelled then reset. If I go from, say, three flats to four, lilypond gives me SEVEN accidentals, three naturals and four flats. To me it should be just four flats. Likewise, going from four flats to three, I would expect the key signature to be one accidental followed by three flats. How do I get this behaviour?

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.