Re: transpose, transposition, and relative

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: transpose, transposition, and relative
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 18:17:06 -0800 (PST)

I'll attempt to clarify again:
\transposition is something that allows midi to know how the music has been transposed so that when you listen to a midi file, you hear what you wrote, not what the transposed notes look like.

\transpose actually transposes the notes in the music.

so, if you want to transpose the following: \relative c' { c4 d e f }, it would look like this: \transpose bes c' { \relative c' { c4 d e f } }

to get appropriate-sounding midi playback, you would want something like this:

\transpostion bes   % <-- this indicates what the transposition of the
                    %     following music will be
\transpose bes c' { % <-- this actually does the transposition
                    % <-- on this line, you could optionally use a
                    %     \transposition c since the notes following it
                    %     are entered at sounding pitch
  \relative c' { c4 d e f }
}

josiah