How to hide pedal markings in the engraving?

From: Aron Fay
Subject: How to hide pedal markings in the engraving?
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2005 20:53:17 +0000

I'm probably one of the newest members to this, so please be
patient.

I want to submit a work to mutopia, so I've been entering music
from a very old manuscript (for piano).  No pedal markings exist
in the original.  But, I'd like to add pedal markings, for the
purpose of making a reasonable midi output.

I'm using a format similair to the "center dynamic" template
in the tutorial.  I've defined separate variables for the upper,
lower, dynamics, and pedal content.  Eg:

  \context PianoStaff
  <<
    \context Staff = "up" \upper
    \context Dynamics = "dynamics" \dynamics
    \context Staff = "down" \lower
    \context Dynamics = "pedal" \pedal

  \layout {
    % ...
  }

How can I surpress engraving of the pedal markings, but keep
them in for midi?

Thanks,
aron

--