Re: making programs

From: Michiel Lange
Subject: Re: making programs
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 01:18:32 +0100

Hi Jean-marc,

Much depends on which language you're used to.
If you're familiar with C or C++ I suppose you should use that (gcc-compiler). If you are more familiar with Pascal, you should try and install the Free Pascal Compiler, probably in combination with Lazarus (A free Delphi clone) If you're familiar with Java, use that instead (I believe gcc supports Java as well)
You might as well take a look at PHP (suitable for web development)

As you can see there are many languages supported under linux... most of them free of charge. (if not all) Much depends on which language you know already, as that gives a better starting point. If you don't know any language, I suppose C is among the better choices for linux, due to it's flexibility.

If I'm not mistaken Lilypond is written in C (but don't pin me down on it)

I hope this is of some help...

Michiel

Jean-marc LEGRAND wrote:

Hi list !

An odd question, that has no direct link with lilypond.

I'de like to develop some applications on Linux, and I don't know wich language
to use.

Actually, I do appreciate the way that lilypond files are structured : I fits
quite well with my way
of thinking.

What sort of language is lily inspired from ?

Regards