Re: Simple OS X Lily previewer in the works (was getting Lily/mftrace on

From: Sean Reed
Subject: Re: Simple OS X Lily previewer in the works (was getting Lily/mftrace on MacOSX)
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:29:43 +0100

hi ed,

(1) Would use use this application? (Feel free to just email me directly.)
i would certainly try it out. i use texshop for my latex texts and like it very much. i currently use jEdit for lilypond, and by the way don't find it slow at all, as opposed to an issue which was on the list recently.

(2) Any other key features you'd like to see?
point and click.

(3) Echoing Han-Wen's inquiry about a binary distribution: what would be a reasonable price?
firstly, i am very grateful for the work that goes into valuable creations, and feel that nobody should work for nothing. however, as an experimental composer, i often find myself working for little to nothing.

the "reasonable price" is an odd issue for me and i didn't put in my two cents to that discussion on the list recently either. but: i find the concept of "reasonable" when it comes to software like this undefinable. in my opinion, lilypond's output is far superior to finale and sibelius, which both go for 700 to 800 euros (i live in germany), and its flexibility is great and growing. so based on that, you could justify selling a self-installing lilypond binary for the same amount or more. however, i consider 700 and 800 euros for this software to be an unreasonable price, and even if somebody were to explain to me why it is reasonable, i certainly could not afford to invest in those programs or their updates or their "os x" compatible versions anyway.

i am a professional composer for contemporary art music and computer generated and interactive art music (i hate that term, but am only attempting to point out that i have professional standards but no money or potential for commercial use of my works when they are finished) and use two other pieces of software which are among the international standards for "art" computer composition and the leading and cutting edge for professional sound quality, namely supercollider and csound. these programmes are constantly under development and there are binaries for several platforms. both of these programmes are open(ish) source and free of charge in both their binary and source forms. this is something which i, as an artist who is regularly involved in experimental projects with limited budgets that often exclude my own payment and have no "resale" value, am very very appreciative of.

this doesn't answer the question directly, and by no means would i ever want to suggest that anybody invest blood sweat and tears to develop something for me with no reimbursement, but it does imply that if there were a way to keep the program free of fee, i for one would be very grateful.

best,
sean
Sean Reed
Hamburg, Germany