Re: Problems with polyphony (rests, dynamics, lyrics, tempo)

From: Reinhold Kainhofer
Subject: Re: Problems with polyphony (rests, dynamics, lyrics, tempo)
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 01:27:11 +0200

Hi Mats,
Thanks a lot for your help. I've now managed to create two songs without
problems, but for two other pieces I have deeper needs and I'm still running
into problems that I haven't yet been able to solve.

Am Donnerstag, 24. März 2005 11:30 schrieben Sie:
> If you add
> the following two lines to the end of your GlobalSettings, the rests
> will be merged, even though you'll get some warning printouts.
> GlobalSettings = {
>  \revert Rest #'direction
>  \revert MultiMeasureRest #'staff-position
> }

It seems to work fine (is there any way to suppress these warnings?). But
there is one big problem: If you have a dotted rest (e.g. r8.), the rests
will still be combined, but the dots are not. So the r8. rest will have two
dots. See
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/lyprobs/dottedrest.pdf
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/lyprobs/dottedrest.ly

> > 2) Since I also need the midi file, and possibly generate separate scores
> > for each voice, I have to add the dynamics to every voice. However, then
> > the piano, crescendo signs etc. appear twice, overwriting some notes (see
> > SchoenbrunnDuMeinTraum.ly). How can I make lilypond print out these
> > dynamics only once (for the staff instead of separately for each voice),
> > while the midi will still apply them to both voices in the staff?
>
> The ideas described in
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2005-03/msg00063.html
> should work here as well.

Okay, so I generated the dynamics separated from the actual notes.  Now the
problem is that the p, the fermatas, the crescendi, etc. are drawn
immediately above the staff, even if the collide with a note!

An example of this problem can be seen in measure 4 of:
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/lyprobs/ImKrapfenwaldl.pdf
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/lyprobs/ImKrapfenwaldl.ly

> One way to handle the different
> number of lyrics lines is described in the manual for version 2.5 at
>
> http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.5/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Other-voca
>l-issues.html#Other-vocal-issues

I tried it in that file ImKrapfenwaldl (measure 21, where the soprano, tenor
and bass have "klim-p're mit den Gro-schen", while the alto has lyrics
"klim-p're mit den letz-ten Gro-schen"). It doesn't seem to work, the error
message is that the sopranoGroschen voice cannot be found or created. What am
i doing wrong here?

Other problems I have with that piece:

-) The spacing of the notes is very uneven (caused by diffferent lengths of
the lyrics). See e.g. measure 46, which contains 4 eigth-notes, which are
spaced very uneven.

-) The whole piece is space too narrow for my taste. Is there any way to
increase the horizontal spacing of the whole document.

-) the dot of dotted notes is too far away from the note and too near to the
next note. See e.g. measure 67 of ImKrapfenwaldl.pdf

-) What is the correct way to type-set a piece with a main part, a trio, a da
capo and a final coda? In particular, I need line breaks exactly where the
trio and the coda begins, and I also need the correct repetitions in the midi
file.

-) The way described in
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.4/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Rehearsal-marks.html#Rehearsal-marks
to put a coda (or fermata) sign above a bar line doesn't work for me. The bar
line after measure 55 should have a fermata sign (as specified in the
tempos). (Actually I want a coda there, but since the example given in the
docu doesn't work, I didn't try to find the coda sign.)

-) How can I make a line break inside a measure. In particular, in measure 56
the Trio begins inside the staff. How can I for a page break before the r8
break?

-) In measures 78 and 82, is there any way I can add an underscore until the
end of the measure (similar to a melisma, only that there is only one note in
that measure).

-) The whole measure rests in the last system are not centered inside the
measure (measures 109-111 and 115.

-) The fermatas on the rests in the last system are not drawn above the rests.
What am I doing wrong here?

The same problems (spacing much too tight for easy reading, whole measure
rests not centered, main/trio/D.C./coda structure, coda sign on the staff)
also appear in
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/lyprobs/TritschTratsch.pdf
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/lyprobs/TritschTratsch.ly

-) The additional problem I have there is then the key changes from a to e
(three sharps to four sharps), one would usually just write four sharp signs
for the new key. But lilypond first completely cancels the a key (three
natural signs), only to add four sharp signs immediately afterwards. See line
19 of TritschTratsch.pdf. How can I prevent this and force lilypond to skip
the natural signs.

-) In TritschTratsch.ly there is not one voice where I can assign the lyrics,
because every now and then only one voice keeps singing, all others are
quiet. So I tried the trick to change the associated voice with
 \set associatedVoice = basses
But that doesn't work at all. If I uncomment all these lines in the lyrics, no
lyrics are printed at all after the first \set associatedVoice. For an
example see:
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/lyprobs/TritschTratschAssociatedVoice.pdf
http://www.fam.tuwien.ac.at/~reinhold/lyprobs/TritschTratschAssociatedVoice.ly

Thanks a lot for all your help.