Re: 2.5 in debian?

From: Bernard Hurley
Subject: Re: 2.5 in debian?
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 23:34:27 +0100

I'll tell you what I did:

1) Create a new user ( called it "invisible" but coul be anything) for
installing lily locally

2) Log in as "invisible" and got latest lily from CVS with

        CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -d:ext:address@hidden:/cvsroot/lilypond co

Of course you don't have to do this, you could get a .tgz file and un
compressed it.

3) Change to the directory

        cd lilypond

4) Run:

        ./autogen.sh --prefix=/home/invisible

to configure lily to install in local directory (substitute your user
for "invisible" of course). At this point a "configure" script will have
been created.

5) Rub configure script:

        ./configure

This checks that you have all the software you need the lily depends on
and the chances are that there will be things missing!

Most of these I tracked down to various Debian packages (although I had
to go to the "unstable" distribution for some of them).

However I could not find a package that contained Ghostscript 8.15 or
higher. So I had to download a .tgz file (I can't remember where from
but you'll find it!), un tgz it and install that first! (The
instructions are the were same as for lily except in directory
ghostscript-8.15)

Basically you keep installing other stuff and repeating step 5) untill
there are no complaints.

6) Now you can actually install lily with (in the lilypond directory)

        make all
        make install

7) This installs the binary files in /home/invisible/bin and the rest of
the stuff in /home/invisible/share. You need to make sure that when you
run lilypond as this user you get the local version, and not the
packaged version that every other user sees. You need to make
sure .bash_profile contains something like:

        # set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
        if [ -d ~/bin ] ; then
                PATH=~/bin:"${PATH}"
        fi

(I think it does anyway- but make sure nevertheless)

8) You will also have to make sure the fonts can be found by setting the
environmental variable TEXMF. There is a script you can source
from .bash_profile to do this when you log in. For various reasons I've
not done it like this but it looks as if it should work.

If you get this far you will be able to run lilypond 2.5.x for this
user. If you get this far you might want to think about packaging lily,
but you have done enough to be able to run it.

        /Bernard