Re: mordent with a slash

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: mordent with a slash
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 14:49:13 +0200

Well, at least it's clear from
http://www.answers.com/topic/ornament-music?hl=inverted&hl=mordent
that there's quite some confusion when it comes to naming.
Using the nomenclature of that article, the \prall in LilyPond is
an upper mordent and the \mordent in LilyPond is a lower mordent.

This is not the only example in LilyPond, where a native english
speaking hacker might have used some other naming. Actually, in
Swedish, we usually use "prall" and "mordent" with the same meaning
as in LilyPond and I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same in
Dutch.

   /Mats

Robert T Wyatt wrote:
If one played b c b as a triplet, then this is what I would call an inverted mordent and I would use a mordent with a slash through it.

Can I make this happen (2.5.23)?

I did find a reference that a prall is the same as an inverted mordent.
http://www.answers.com/mordent

The prall symbol in lilypond however is not a mordent with a slash through it: http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.5/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Articulations.html

Insights are appreciated.

        Mats Bengtsson