Re: mordent with a slash

From: Robert T Wyatt
Subject: Re: mordent with a slash
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 09:52:09 -0500

Also, I realized later that I should have been more precise with what the composer's intent is.

The notehead should be on the b and the performer's articulation is b c b as a triplet. So what I wish to ask of lilypond is to make:

b\articulation

... show a 'mordent with a slash' above the 'b' note, which the author intends the reader to interpret as 'b c b' played as a triplet. (Does this qualify as an 'upper mordent' in your understanding?)

For what it's worth this author was classically trained on harpsichord with Bach as his main study, however, it seems that this nomenclature and symbol is apparently not directly from that experience.

If I were to not worry about what lilypond thinks of me as a music editor or typesetter, I would just need to know if one of the articulation examples is literally a mordent with a slash through it and I would use that one. Unfortunately I am simply unable to tell from looking if one of them is supposed to be a mordent with a slash. :-) Do y'all know?

On the other hand, part of the purpose of using lilypond is to have other people also be able to read and understand this music, so perhaps it is more important to know if there is in fact a 'proper' nomenclature and symbol for the author's musical intent above.

Thank you all very much for helping me sort this out!