Re: BarLine spacing

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: BarLine spacing
Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 03:14:54 +0200

Jonatan Liljedahl wrote:
On Tue, 24 May 2005 08:36:11 +0200
pascal lawrynowicz <address@hidden> wrote:

Yes I have a special purpose for it.
I write a lot of material for my drums lessons (it's a reason I
switch to Linux and Lilypond). And for child it's better to
understand rhythm if each bar is evenly written. So each bar length
(distance) means same beats and subdivisions inside. It's very
visual.

Another purpose would be to notate modern music in absolute time (where
physical distance is relative to time), as often seen in works of
members of the "spectral music" tradition, and others...

That's proportional notation, which Lily doesn't do yet. It would be quite a big project to do, but lots of new music aficionados would be thrilled with it.

However, maybe the original poster would also be interested in Grid lines?

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.5/input/regression/out-www/collated-files.html#grid-lines.ly