Question on syntax

From: andrew Black
Subject: Question on syntax
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 09:29:37 +0100

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

    \context{
      \Lyrics
      \override LyricText #'font-size = #2

I am finding certain aspects of Lilypond's syntax a little cryptic. Specifically
 - what is the difference between
      \context Lyrics=xxxx
      \context { \Lyrics  ....... }

 - what is the reasoning behind the # and ' in the phrase #'font-size

OK I can just cut and paste, but I prefer to be able to write the language myself and an understanding of the underlying syntax rules would help.