Re: lay out

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: lay out
Date: Sat, 04 Jun 2005 17:28:42 -0700

On 4-Jun-05, at 4:31 PM, Aaron Mehl wrote:

So am I able to generalize from this that layout
replaces paper (you said not and the docs still say
that paper is still in?)

There is currently a \paper{} and \layout{}.  I really don't
want to talk about anything that happened before 2.4, because
I really don't know what the relationship is.

I'm looking into what \paper{} and \layout{} do.  Stay tuned.

Also is the second set of brackets under the score
block just a shortcut for \note {}?

There's no \note{} anymore.  {} is like the old \note{}, and
\relative c' { } is like the old \note{\relative c'{ }}.

I need to acheive a template with lyrics in it where
in this template would I put lyrics?

I don't know.  I don't write music with lyrics.  Let's look at the
docs... Instrument-specific notation -> Vocal music.
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.5/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/ Setting-simple-songs.html

Hmm, it says that for simple stuff, just add \addlyrics under the notes.
Let's see if that works.  Hey, it does!

insert

\addlyrics{
type lyrics here
}

into your example, right after your notes.  Here's some context:
------
%15
        d''8. c''16 b'8 a' gis' e' c'' b' |
        a'2 \bar "|."
}
\addlyrics{
type lyrics here
}

        \layout {
        }
-----

PLEASE, please read the docs!  We've spent hours and hours writing
and editing the docs.  This question required ten seconds of reading
the first section about vocal music!  How could we make this easier to
find?

- Graham