Re: Extending beamed stems

From: David Raleigh Arnold
Subject: Re: Extending beamed stems
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 18:28:17 -0400

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 06:59 pm, Henrik Frisk wrote:
> Daniel Johnson <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > henrikfr wrote:
> >
> > >I posted a question a while ago but didn't get any feedback,
probably because nobody understood my question ;)... I'll give it
another try:

> > >I want to extend a beamed stem so that it reaches beyond the beam,
without changeing the position or angle of the beam. I want to do it
for cross staff notes. I've figured out how to do it for unbeamed notes
but can't seem to get it to work for beamed notes.

> > >Thanx for any suggestions.

You can't have a quarter and an eighth on the same stem.

There are two ways of noting the quarter.  Give it it's own note head
and shift it to the left a bit, or put another stem on the same note
head in the opposite direction.  For keyboard music it is ok to have
two note heads for the same note. (Not necessarily ok for strings) No
matter how the stem be extended, it still takes its time value from
the beam/beams attached to it.  An "extended" stem is just that.  It
is not a quarter note stem.  To have a quarter you need another stem,
or a rest, will he nill he.

There is a rule here.  You can't have more than one time value note
head on the same stem.  Of course you can have more than one time
value stem on the same note head, even different colors, but they have
to be separate stems and therefore in opposite directions.

So the problem is that if you get what you want, and you
can, simply by putting the quarter in another voice, it won't
indicate what you want it to indicate.  Hope this helps. daveA

--
The only technical exercises for all guitarists worth a lifetime
of practice: "Dynamic Guitar Technique".  Nothing else is close.