Re: 2.6 autopackage on Debian sid!!

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: 2.6 autopackage on Debian sid!!
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 12:57:06 +0200

Paul Scott writes:

> After sending this I found that I could also easily install the MS
> Windows version (on W98).  (I don't intend to actually use it there).
> I see that there is a LilyPond menu folder with 7 items.

Yes.

> I was just able to find a single menu item pointing to
> /usr/bin/lilypond under "Multimedia/Jack and More."

Was this created by the autopackage installer?

> Even if this pointed to lilypond-2.6.0 what sense does it make to
> point to the executable without providing a way to enter the
> necessary parameters?

Gui people (windows, macos, gnome, kde) will want to have a menu entry
after installation of a software.  Running it pops up an editor with a
welcome message.

> The same thing seems to be true of the MS Windows LilyPond menu entry
> except there it starts a never ending task.

Does lilypad not start, can you investigate?

> I can do that either now or when we finish this discussion.  Since
> this autopackage is completely new to me where and what is autopackage
> development?

That's autopackage.org.

> Will there be or should I just take Mats' suggestion?

There might be, but not real soon.

Jan.