Re: opening files with Notepad

From: Daniel Johnson
Subject: Re: opening files with Notepad
Date: Wed, 13 Jul 2005 10:31:08 -0700

Paul Scott wrote:

> Daniel Ballenger wrote:
>
>> Try wordpad.  I don't think notepad cares about \n (newlines).  Thus
>> causing your run-together problem
>>

> WordPad isn't really a text editor.  I don't know how LilyPad is
> related to EditPad (they look about the same) but there are several
> good free text editors.  I use EditPad Lite which knows how to convert
> line termination between DOS and *nix (and Mac).
>
> Paul Scott

If you have Java installed, you might want to try installing jEdit
(http://www.jedit.org/) which has plugins that can handle syntax
highlighting etc. for Lilypond.

Microsoft-built editors in general will choke when opening documents
created on Unix-like systems (including Linux & OSX), because the
end-of-line character(s) for Microsoft is CR+LF while Unix uses LF.
(And to top it off, old Macs used CR.)  Any decent programmer's editor
can gracefully make the conversion between the styles.  Also, if you're
using Lilypond >= 2.5, jEdit can save documents in UTF-8 format, which
lets you include any Unicode character in your files, not just those
accessible from your American or Western European keyboard.

--Daniel