Beams, slurs and Chords

From: Hans de Rijck
Subject: Beams, slurs and Chords
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 13:07:20 +0200

Dear Lilyponders.

I want to enter the following piece (see .GIF) from Dvorak symphony nr. 9,
bar 19, clarinetti B and I just can't get it right in Lilypond.

The closest I get is:
<< c''4.\p(  \\ f8.[ >> { e16 ] f8[}  <f, c' >8]  <g e' >2)

but that results in an unterminated beam and unterminated slur error.

I read in the archives that all articulations should be outside << >> so I
tried
<< c''4.\p  \\ f8. >>([ { e16 ] f8[}  <f, c' >8]  <g e' >2)

but that results in a syntax error: unexpected '(' or '[' whatever comes
first.

Can any of you guru's give me a hint or do I ask the impossible?

Kind regards,

Hans

ps.
I'm working on NWC2LY, Joshua Koo's converter from Noteworthy to Lilypond.
So far its progressing nicely but now I run into problems I can't even fix
by hand. The NWC input I get describes the bar above as:
Dynamic (p)
dotted 8th Chord, two notes
16th note
8th note
8th chord, two notes
half chord, two notes
I am looking for a Lilypond description that resembles the above. Tweaks
using multiple voices won't work I'm afraid.

h.