Re: Multiple Rehearsal Marks

From: Will Oram
Subject: Re: Multiple Rehearsal Marks
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 21:09:42 -0500

Hmmm, that's odd. When I tried the suggestion below, lily 2.7.5 processed for a moment, stopped quietly (no errors/warnings), and brought up the PDF from the last successful build.

Let's go through the process. The following is the minimum code that makes lily stop (although I kept it in book form). Note the \with in the first violin, aiming for \mark to appear above the designated staff:

\version "2.7.5"

\include "english.ly"

\paper {
        systemSeparatorMarkup = \slashSeparator
        raggedbottom = ##f
        raggedlastbottom = ##f
}

music = \relative c'{
  c4 d e f \mark \default |
  g f e d \mark \default |
  c1 |
}

\book {
        \score {
            \simultaneous {
                                \new Staff <<
\set Staff.instrument = \markup { \center-align { \line {2 Flutes}}}
                                        \set Staff.instr = \markup { "Fl." }
                                        \partcombine
                                                        \relative d' { \music }
                                                        \relative d' { \music }

                                \new Staff <<
                                                \set Staff.instrument = \markup
{ \center-align {\line {Oboe}}}
                                                \set Staff.instr = \markup {Ob}
                                                \new Voice \relative d' {
\music }

                        \new StaffGroup <<
                                \new GrandStaff <<
                                        \new Staff \with { \consists "Mark_engraver"
} <<
\set GrandStaff.instrument = \markup { \center-align {\line {Violins}}}
                                                \set GrandStaff.instr = #"Vln."
                                                \new Voice \relative d' {
\music }

                                        \new Staff <<
                                                \new Voice \relative d' { \music }

                }

            \layout {
                \context { \RemoveEmptyStaffContext }
                \context { \GrandStaff \consists "Instrument_name_engraver" }
\context { \Score \override InstrumentName #'space-alist = #'((left-edge . (extra-space . 3.0))) }

%%% END

Now, typeset it. The binary output just stops quietly, providing no useful exit info:

Interpreting music... Processing `/Users/spamguy/projects/x/x.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [1]
Interpreting music... [1]
Interpreting music... [4]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks... [3][4]
Interpreting music...

Running it through lilypond.sh under verbose mode personally tells me nothing, though it might be more meaningful to others. It quit so fast, it didn't even grace me with a newline for shell input!:

[...]
Grob count 573[/Users/spamguy/LilyPond.app//Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/ current/fonts/otf/emmentaler-11.otf][/Users/spamguy/LilyPond.app// Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/emmentaler -13.otf][/Users/spamguy/LilyPond.app//Contents/Resources/share/ lilypond/current/fonts/otf/emmentaler-14.otf] Calculating line breaks... [century_schoolbook_l__2.51171875][century_schoolbook_l__bold_3.16503906 25]
Global shortest duration is 3/16
[3][4]
Optimal demerits: 11.320258
Element count 349.[[century_schoolbook_l__bold_2.51171875][/Users/spamguy/ LilyPond.app//Contents/Resources/share/lilypond/current/fonts/otf/ aybabtu.otf]0]
Interpreting music... Ignatius:~ spamguy$

---

What you see next varies. If this is your first time building this file, you probably will get nothing. For me, it brought up the PDF from the last successful run, before I stuck the \with ... in.

This is probably more meant for bug-lilypond, but this thread started here, so it's your discretion.

All the best,
Will