Re: version 2.6.x for debian (unstable or sarge)?

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: version 2.6.x for debian (unstable or sarge)?
Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:28:22 -0700

> > by far the easiest thing you can do is install with autopackage. It works,
> > quite
> > nicely. You can install it to your home directory.
> >
> > Unfortunately, there are not yet any 2.6 or 2.7 packages for Debian.
>
> So, if I understand correctly, at the moment the only way to get 2.6 or
> 2.7 for my debian systems would be installing from source, am I right?

No. That is not what I said.

You can also install via autopackage. Autopackage is a packaging system
that, like apt/dpkg, keeps track of dependencies, and has various
front-ends (both GUI and at the command line). You can install or
uninstall it as root or as a regular user, alongside your normal,
healthy dpkg system. I have had no major problems[1] with autopackage.
If you are not interested in installing 2.6 or 2.7 from source, and are
not interested in waiting for someone else to create a debian package
for you, I strongly advise you to download the autopackage files.

For general information on what autopackage is, go to autopackage.org.
To save you the link-finding, http://autopackage.org/docs/howto-install/
explains how exactly to use the .autopackage files.

[1] I've had no major problems, but I have had to manually fix problems
with my $PATH settings that seem to come from autopackage messing with
them when I opted to install autopackage locally rather than as root.
There are several ways to avoid this. If you are interested, elaboration
is easy.