Re: SUSE 9.3 and fontforge

From: Tapio Tuovila
Subject: Re: SUSE 9.3 and fontforge
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 11:49:33 +0300

Suzanne Blatt kirjoitti:

Hello,
I'm trying to build Lilypond 2.5 as the one that came with SUSE 9.3 doesn't work. My problem is fontforge. The 'old' fontforge that came with SUSE has been uninstalled, I found and downloaded the 'new' fontforge from the web but I cannot seem to get the compilers to find it - so my compiling results in an error of 'no fontforge'. Where should I be compiling fontforge on my machine so it will be seen? and how do I do this? I think it should go in /usr/bin but how can I get it there?
Thanks,
Suzie

Hi,
you could go to http://fontforge.sourceforge.net/index.html#source then download the sources (and needed dependencies, if missing), then just normally <./configure, make, make install>. By default "make install" installs fontforge in /usr/local/bin; if you want it to go to /usr/bin then you should do ./configure --prefix=/usr/bin.

- Then again, why not try Lilypond 2.6.3 (or even 2.7.10) instead? Those also build smoothly on SuSE 9.3

best wishes
Tapio