Re: alternate time sigs

From: Kris Shaffer
Subject: Re: alternate time sigs
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:00:01 -0500

To accomplish something like what you referred to, I put this in the header:

tsMarkup = \markup {
  \override #'(baseline-skip . 0.5)
  \number {
    \column { "2" "4" }
    \musicglyph #"scripts.stopped"
    \column { "3" "4" }
  }

and this in the score (note the tsMarkup):

% Variation VI
% rehearsal 52
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'print-function = #Text_interface::print
      \override Staff.TimeSignature #'text = #tsMarkup
  \time 5/4
      \once \override TextScript #'font-size = #3
      \once \override TextScript #'padding = #2
d8)^\markup { \bold { Var. VI } } g-. d-. g-. \bar ":" fis4( e8) r b16( c b c
    d8) e d e \bar ":" c2 c16( d c d % \break
    e8) bes'-. e,-. bes'-. \bar ":" a4( g8) r e16( f e f
    g8) a-. g-. a-. \bar ":" fis2 r4 \bar "||"
      \revert Staff.TimeSignature #'print-function
      \revert Staff.TimeSignature #'text
  \time 4/4

See the attachment for the result. This is a work-in-progress, so a few things on this page are still messy, but the time signature at 52 is fine. As for the parentheses in your example, you can make really big parentheses with \markup and offset them to the appropriate location.
  Hope this helps.

--
Kris Shaffer
graduate student in music theory, Yale University