Lyric word spanning two notes

From: Stephen Torri
Subject: Lyric word spanning two notes
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 07:48:44 +0000

I have a measure in 2/2 time which I have four quarter notes. Below it I
want to have lyrics where one word is sung in two parts in this measure.
So the notes and lyrics go in a pseudo code fashion would be:

a  b  c  d
si -- lience

The notes 'a' and 'b' are paired with 'si--' where 'c' and 'd' are
paired with 'lience'. So far I have the lyrics for this song as:

%   Lyrics
words = \lyricmode { Let all mor -- tal | flesh keep | si -- lence, |
and with fear and }

I get an error message about my lyrics mode line because I believe its
expecting four words or syllables for measure #3. How do I tell lilypond
to be please let 'si' be one count in 2/2 time and 'lience' be for one
count?

Stephen