Re: Inputting special symbols

From: stk
Subject: Re: Inputting special symbols
Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 02:46:32 -0500 (EST)

Gilles wrote:

> And . . . also . . . :  Blank spaces at the
> beginning or end of double-quoted strings are trimmed.

That's true.  To get spaces between non-space \markup items you can write
things like

     \markup { "foo" \hspace #10 "bar" }

That trick doesn't work for getting spaces at the end (I think I recall
that some people wanted such a thing for instrument names to be placed to
the left of the staff).  I don't know whether the following would work --

   \markup {"foo" \hspace #10 "<utf-8 byte codes for an invisible char>"}

-- because I haven't tried it.  By an invisible character I mean something
like a non-break space or an extra-thin or extra-wide space; I know that
such things exist in Unicode.

-- Tom