Verse and refrain spacing

From: Joseph Haig
Subject: Verse and refrain spacing
Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 12:59:42 +0000 (GMT)

I have recently started trying out Lilypond, now that I have got round
to getting an up to date version (2.6.3).  For my first attempt I have
tried a Christmas carol and I have managed to work out all of the
problems except one.  I have entered the refrain and three verses
following the trick at the end of section 7.3.7 (Vocal Music: More
stanzas) of the documentation.  My problem is that there is too much
space between the lines of the first staff, which only contain the
refrain, because 3 lines worth of space is being allocated.  Is it
possible to remove this space when it is not required?  My code is
below.

Thanks

Joe

-------------------------

\version "2.6.3"

#(set-default-paper-size "a4")

\header {
  title = "Coventry Carol"
  composer = "Traditional (1591)"
}

global = {
  \key d \minor
}

refrain = \lyricmode {
  Lul -- ly, lul -- la,
  thou lit -- tle ti -- ny child,
  By by, lul -- ly lul -- lay,
  thou lit -- tle ti -- ny child,
  By by, lul -- ly lul -- lay.
}

verseone = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "1. "
  O sis -- ters too,
  How may we do
  For to pre -- serve this day
  This poor young -- ling,
  For \set ignoreMelismata = ##t
  whom we
  \unset ignoreMelisma
    do sing,
  By by, lul -- ly lul -- lay?
}

versetwo = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "2. "
  He -- rod, the king,
  In his rag -- ing,
  Char -- ged he hath this day
  His men of might,
  In his own sight,
  All young chil -- dren to slay.
}

versethree = \lyricmode {
  \set stanza = "3. "
  That woe is me,
  Poor child for thee!
  And e -- ver morn and day,
  For thy part -- ing
  \set ignoreMelismata = ##t
  Nei -- ther
  \unset ignoreMelismata
    say nor sing
  By by, lul -- ly lul -- lay!
}
sopMusic = \relative c' {
  \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 4 2)
  g'1 g2 fis
  \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 2)
  g1 bes2
  a2. a4 g4 g
  fis1.
  g2 a bes
  \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 2 2)
  c a
  \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 2)
  g1 d'2
  c2. c4 bes bes
  a1.
  g2 fis g
  \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 2 2)
  c a
  \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 2)
  b1.\fermata \bar "||"
  \context Voice = sopverse {
    \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 4 2)
    g1 g2 fis
    \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 2)
    g1 bes2
    a1 g2
    fis1.
    g2 a bes
    \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 2 2)
    c a
    \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 2)
    g1 d'2
    c1 bes2
    a1 \slurDotted bes4( bes)
    \slurDotted a2.( a4) g2
    f1.
    g2 fis g
    \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 2 2)
    c a
    \set Score.measureLength = #(ly:make-moment 3 2)
    b1.\fermata \bar "|."

tenorMusic = \relative c' {
  d1 d2 d b1 d2 f2. f4 bes, c d1.
  d2 f d ees d4( c) b1
  f'2 f2. f4 d d d1.
  d2 d bes ees d d1.\fermata
  \context Voice = tenverse {
    d1 d2 d d1
    d2 f1 bes,4( c) d1.
    d2 f d ees d4( c) b1
    f'2 f1 d2 d1
    \slurDotted d4( d) f1 \slurDotted bes,4( c) d1.
    bes2 d bes ees d d1.\fermata

bassMusic = \relative c' {
  g1 g2 d g,1 g'2 f2. f4 g g d1.
  g2 f g c, d g,1
  bes2 f'2. f4 g g d1.
  g2 d g c, d g1.\fermata
  \context Voice = basverse {
    g1 g2 d g,1
    g'2 f1 ees2 d1.
    g2 f g c, d g,1
    bes2 f'1 g2 d1
    \slurDotted g4( g) \slurDotted f2.( f4) ees2 d1.
    g2 d g c, d g,1.\fermata

\score {
  \context ChoirStaff <<
    \context Staff = sops
      \context Voice = sopranos { \voiceOne << \global \sopMusic >> }
    \context Lyrics = sopverseone { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = sopversetwo { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = sopversethree { s1 }
    \context Staff = tens {
      \clef "treble_8"
      \context Voice = tenors { \voiceOne << \global \tenorMusic >> }
    }
    \context Lyrics = tenverseone { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = tenversetwo { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = tenversethree { s1 }
    \context Staff = bass {
      \clef bass
      \context Voice = basses { \voiceOne << \global \bassMusic >> }
    }
    \context Lyrics = basverseone { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = basversetwo { s1 }
    \context Lyrics = basversethree { s1 }

    \context Lyrics = sopverseone \lyricsto sopranos \refrain
    \context Lyrics = sopverseone \lyricsto sopverse \verseone
    \context Lyrics = sopversetwo \lyricsto sopverse \versetwo
    \context Lyrics = sopversethree \lyricsto sopverse \versethree
    \context Lyrics = tenverseone \lyricsto tenors \refrain
    \context Lyrics = tenverseone \lyricsto tenverse \verseone
    \context Lyrics = tenversetwo \lyricsto tenverse \versetwo
    \context Lyrics = tenversethree \lyricsto tenverse \versethree
    \context Lyrics = basverseone \lyricsto basses \refrain
    \context Lyrics = basverseone \lyricsto basverse \verseone
    \context Lyrics = basversetwo \lyricsto basverse \versetwo
    \context Lyrics = basversethree \lyricsto basverse \versethree

  \layout {
    \context {
      % a little smaller so lyrics
      % can be closer to the staff
      \Staff minimumVerticalExtent = #'(-3 . 3)
      \remove Time_signature_engraver

NEW Yahoo! Cars - sell your car and browse thousands of new and used cars
online! http://uk.cars.yahoo.com/