Re: frustrated but seek style

From: Nicolas Sceaux
Subject: Re: frustrated but seek style
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 22:23:16 +0100

Aaron Mehl <address@hidden> writes:

> now I have to stick some things inside the markup, others in
> the paper block and others in the layout block. and maybe others will
> require a scheme hack?  I don't say the syntax of css is right for
> lilypond, I just am frustrated with having to fiddle to get style
> working and then only have it portable using includes...

If you bring some more concrete examples of what you're doing
repeatedly, maybe we can help.

LilyPond makes it possible to define "stylesheets". You can create a
"common.ily" file, where you put your markups commands, music functions,
default \layout and \paper blocks. Then, include it in your scores.
This is not rethorical, I actually do that: a stylesheet for the
conductor score, with smaller notes, more scenical indications, and an
other one for seperate isntrument scores, with bigger notes, no scenical
indications.

Example: a score with many aria finishing with the text: "Dal Segno",
and sometimes a little indication: "(parte.)", meaning that the
character leaves the scene. When a score have several staves, I'd like
to have a segno above the last bar, and the "Dal Segno" mark below. In
the conductor score, I'd like to have "(parte.)" below "Dal Segno", in
addition. In scores with only one staff (instrument score), I'd like
only "Dal Segno" below the staff.

In the common.ily file, the music functions are defined.
For each aria with a "dal segno (parte.)" pattern, there is:
global = {
  \scoreDalSegnoWithText \markup "(parte.)"
}

Then, depending on the style you want to use for the final marking, the
global block is included with the appropriate tags:

%% instrument part: "dal segno" below, no "parte"
\score {
  \new Staff << \keepWithTags #'partSingle \global .. >>
}

%% reduction part: segno above, "dal segno" below, no "parte":
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff << \keepWithTags #'partUp \global .. >>
    \new Staff << \keepWithTags #'() \global .. >>
    \new Staff << \keepWithTags #'partDown \global .. >>

}

%% conductor score: segno above, "dal segno" below, "parte" below:
\score {
  <<
    \new Staff << \keepWithTags #'up \global .. >>
    \new Staff << \keepWithTags #'() \global .. >>
    \new Staff << \keepWithTags #'() \global .. >>
    \new Staff << \keepWithTags #'down \global .. >>

}

The key: (ab)use of tags and music functions.

nicolas