Re: Don't understand exactly where to put Completion lines

From: Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence
Subject: Re: Don't understand exactly where to put Completion lines
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 19:33:04 -0800

I apologize for this being sent only to you- a slip of the keystrokes.

I was trying to keep the message short and to the point since it seemed that each voice would need the command but the question becomes
"before notes in score or somehow in the layout"
and I felt that the manual wasn't clear enough for me to try it.

So it would seem that both are possible but perhaps more reliably in each voice just before the notes.

Jay

Mats Bengtsson wrote:
As always, please keep the discussion on the mailing list.
I don't understand why you were so secret about how you
used your variable.
For example, you maybe have something as simple as
\score{
 \sopranoA
}

or some more complicated construct such as

\new StaffGroup <<
 \new Staff <<
   \sopranoA
   \sopranoB

 \new Staff <<
   \altoA
   \altoB

The point is that it's somewhere among these lines that
you have to put the code you were asking about.
However, as I said in the email to the mailing list, the easiest
is to make a global redefinition of how Voice contexts work,
that then applies to all voices of the score. (Of course, if
you only want the completion on one voice of music, then
you need to do what you first suggested, and we need more
more details from your code if you want a detailed answer).

   /Mats

Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence wrote:

The entire score needs the variable.

I would take the \CadenzaOn out if I had a way to complete all the notes in every part (there are thirteen voices but I'm guessing that just as you only put barlines and \CadenzaOn in the first voice you would include the Completion code once too. I just don't quite understand where it goes.

The original score is idiosyncratically barred without any time signatures and sometimes the base note is an 8th and others it's a quarter note i.e. a mess and I thought the Completion code would be a way to regularize the piece now that all the notes/values are entered.

Jay

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Still, you only show how you define a variable called SopranoA, but you don't show the actual \score{...} block of you file, i.e. the lines that use the variable, i.e. the lines that contain \SopranoA.

   /Mats

Quoting "Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence" <address@hidden>:

I snipped the part right under the 'header' but here's from the top the beginning of the file

\version "2.6.3"
\header {
  title = "Thunder/Perfect Mind"
  composer = "Jay Hamilton"
subtitle = "Adapted by the composer from various translations/Texts found Nag Hamadi"
  copyright = "CC lic.#2.5 some rights reserved Jay Hamilton 1998"

}
#(set-global-staff-size 19)
Key = { \key c \major }
SopranoA = \relative c' {
\set Staff.instrument = #"Soprano 1"
\set Staff.midiInstrument = "Accordian"
\clef treble
\cadenzaOn
%notes begin here

Hope this is enough of an example.
Jay

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Since you didn't include the part of your file where you actually use the SopranoA variable, it's impossible to accurately answer your question.

  /Mats

Quoting "Jay Hamilton, Sound and Silence" <address@hidden>:

I would like to use the autocompletion in my score however when I looked at the manual I got confused as to where exactly to put this [copied from manual];
\new Voice \with {
  \remove "Note_heads_engraver"
  \consists "Completion_heads_engraver"
} {
  c2. c8 d4 e f g a b c8 c2 b4 a g16 f4 e d c8. c2
}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
in my score [example]

Key = { \key c \major }
SopranoA = \relative c' {
\set Staff.instrument = #"Soprano 1"
\set Staff.midiInstrument = "Accordian"
\clef treble
\cadenzaOn

I'm sure it's simple but like I said I got confused
Jay

--
Childhood is a Journey not a race- Emma Sadinsky aged 8
Jay Hamilton