Error "can't find absolute argv0"

From: Ben Fisher
Subject: Error "can't find absolute argv0"
Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 13:48:06 -0800

"can't find absolute argv0"
Installing 2.6.5.1 worked perfectly on my Dell WinXP about a week ago. Loading everything worked fine, and using Lilypond from the command-line and double-clicking files worked fine. However, on my win xp laptop, Lilypond won't work from the command line.
If I try to run "lilypond test.ly" I get:
programming error: can't find absolute argv0
continuing, cross fingers
GNU LilyPond 2.6.5
ERROR: In procedure primitive-load-path:
ERROR: Unable to find file "ice-9/boot-9.scm" in load path
This doesn't have anything to do with what .ly file is fed in and it appears every time. It looks like Lilypond can't find what directory it is in.
I thought about this, and then tried running the absolute directory to Lilypond, and ... then - it worked!!!

If you run "lilypond test.ly" it *doesn't* work.
If you run "c:\program files\lilypond\usr\bin\lilypond test.ly" it *does* work.

Is Lilypond using the first argument to find out where it is? If so, this is a bad idea (at least on Windows, I don't know about *nix) and should be fixed because this behavior is not expected. At first I thought it was a bad install.

After all, why do you need an absolute path? Can't lilypond use relative paths to find its fonts? Including a path should be irrelevant to the way a program works.

I still don't understand why this issue only comes up on my laptop and not on my Dell.

-Ben