Re: white text on black background

From: Marius Amado Alves
Subject: Re: white text on black background
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:52:48 +0000

While waiting for a knowledgeable reply on this list, which never came, I managed to find a solution.

The helpful volunteers who answer questions on this mailing list are happy that you managed to find a solution.

It took a fair amount of experimenting to get it right, principally given the utterly sparse documentation about \filled-box and \with-color notably regarding the form and semantics of their arguments.

The helpful volunteer who manages the documentation (i.e. me) will be happy to receive patches and detailed descriptions of what to add to the docs. I know a lot less about \filled-box and \with-color than you do.

(Hmm, in hindsight I can see how I may have sounded inappreciative, sorry, I guess I was just steaming off for seeing every other post getting a reply and mine a "deafening silence" as they say.)

All that the manual (version 2.6.6) says about \filled-box is:

\filled-box xext (pair of numbers) yext (pair of numbers) blot (number)
  Draw a box with rounded corners of dimensions xext and yext.

I suggest completing this as follows.

\filled-box xext (pair of numbers) yext (pair of numbers) blot (number)
  Draw a box with possibly rounded corners of dimensions xext and yext,
   where the first number of xext is
    the horizontal offset of the left side of the box,
   the second number of xext is
    the horizontal offset of the right side,
   the first number of yext is
    the vertical offset of the bottom side,
   and the second number of yext is
    the vertical offset of the top side.
  All offsets are in staff spaces
   and relative to the current position.
  Positive offsets are rightwards and upwards,
   negative offsets are leftwards and downwards.
  The blot is the roundness of the box corners,
   namely the diameter in staff spaces of the circle
   corresponding to the curve made by each corner,
   and should not exceed half the size of the
   width or height of the box, which one is smaller.
   Naturally a value of zero represents sharp corners.
   Example:
    \filled-box #'(-.3 . 1.8) #'(-.3 . 1.8) #0