Re: volta brackets not 'closing'

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: volta brackets not 'closing'
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2006 22:28:47 +0100

Quoting Stuart Lowe <address@hidden>:

Folks,

In the first part of a tune I'm doing, I want to have a repeat volta (2)
with 2 alternatives.

Like:

 \repeat volta 2 {
 \grg f4. _\markup { transition } ( f4. )
 \hdblg g4. ( g4. )
 \dblA A4. ( A4. )
 f8 e8 f8 \dbld d4 e8 \break
 \grg f4. ( f4. )
 \hdblg g4. ( g4. )
 e8 A8 e8 A8 f8 e8
 }

 \alternative {
 {f8 e8 c8 \grg f4.}
 {f4 e4 c4 \grg f4. (f4.) \bar "||" \break }
 }

When I do it this way, the 2nd volta bracket doesn't 'close'
(no vertical line on the right edge).

In the second alternative, if I replace

\bar "||"       with
\bar "|."

Then it 'closes'.  Is this normal behaviour?

At least it's the intended behaviour. I'm not sure how
well-investigated it was or if anybody even remembers why it's done this way, though. It's been like this in LilyPond
for several years.

Also:  in this tune, all of the parts have 8 bars
and are either repeated or written out in full - except for
one part - it has 8 bars but is only to be played once over.

I want to indicate an 'end of part' by doing a ' \bar "||" '
at the end, but this doesn't get picked up somehow - lilypond
just displays a single bar line at the end of this part.

Hard to say without having seen your code.

  /Mats