Re: Engraved 'look'

From: Darius Blasband
Subject: Re: Engraved 'look'
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2006 11:20:02 +0100

As much as I think that old scores must be used as source of inspiration for balance, aesthetics, etc., I think that reproducing their defects for the sake of old-fashioned look would be odd. Softening corners is ok. But imperfections are not warm. They are just that: imperfections.

Darius.

Leo Trottier wrote:

Apologies if this has already been debated/discussed extensively, but ...

.. in my experience with (beautiful) Barenreiter editions a quality that I feel
most striking is the 'old-fashioned' look  -- there are seldom razor sharp
staff-lines (as tend to be produced by laser printers).  Instead, it seems,
minute variations ('imperfections') in print add a warmth ... and it's this
warmth that I feel is most lacking in lilypond output.
Wouldn't it be fairly easy add an 'soft/irregular edge' command to the
typesetting system?

Best,
Leo

PS I don't request this as a feature that I want personally so much as I think
it would be one that could greatly enrich the (already superb) feel of lilypond
output.