Re: vertical spacing of StaffGroup

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: vertical spacing of StaffGroup
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:38:32 +0100

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
[CVS 2006-03-17]

What must I do to make

  \override VerticalAxisGroup #'minimum-Y-extent = #'(-10 . 10)

work for the `StaffGroup' context?  I want a score layout like
this (each horizontal line represents a staff):
You can't, technically: StaffGroup is just a bunch of staves with a
bracket in front, and spanning bar lines.

This is a pity, IMHO.  Graham, this should be probably documented...

I could fiddle with VerticalAxisGroup of single staff lines, but...
I could also insert invisible staves, but...
If you're inserting something invisible, I'd recommend a Lyrics
context.  You have to make sure it's not hara-kiri'd though.

Will give it a try, thanks.

A related problem which I consider as very important is the
introduction of stretching vertical space as used in TeX:

  \vspace 3em plus 10pt minus 10pt

This is something for the TODO file -- BTW, it seems that there isn't
a TODO file in lilypond...

No, TODO files tend to fill up with bad ideas that never get implemented anyway.

On the other hand, page-layout-twopass.ly, which probably can do
something similar already, appears to be broken: The output file
page-layout-twopass-page-layout.ly is always empty.  Or am I missing
something?  The documentation is, hmm, sparse...

Comment out the \markup. The problem is that the \markup triggers another layout write, which overwrites the first one.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com