Re: PDF size

From: Harald Wellmann
Subject: Re: PDF size
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 13:51:00 +0200

Thanks, that was it!

Still, since the lilypond installer already contains a patched gs, there had to some other problem.

As it turned out, the method lilypond uses to locate its gs binary is not fool-proof: in my case, the lilypond 2.8.1 installation picked up the old gs 8.15 binary from the 2.6.3.1 installation.

This is probably due to the following definition in /usr/share/lilypond/current/scm/backend-library.scm

(define-public (search-gs)
  (search-executable '("gs-nox" "gs-8.15" "gs")))

lilypond 2.8.1 does not have gs-nox, but lilypond 2.6.3.1 does.

The old installation path was still in my PATH, so even though lilypond 2.8.1 prepends its own path to the PATH, the gs search first finds the old gs-nox.

By the way, "gs-8.15" does not really make sense here when the gs version bundled with lilypond is 8.50.

On the whole, since lilypond comes with so many required libraries and executables which are very likely to be already installed on the user's system in different versions, it is a bit dangerous to rely on the PATH or other enviroment variables. It would be safer to refer to all required binaries relative to the installation root.

Harald

Mats Bengtsson schrieb:

I should have hinted you to also search the archives of
bug-lilypond. For example, you will find:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2006-03/msg00296.html
which tells that the culprit is Ghostscript and how to
fix it (if you're prepared to recompile Ghostscript).

  /Mats