Re: Whole-time rest and 3/4 time in 2.8.1

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Whole-time rest and 3/4 time in 2.8.1
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 21:16:36 -0700

On 8-Apr-06, at 8:13 PM, Tomas Valusek wrote:

You want to use
R2.
R1 produces 4 beats, just like r1.  R2. produces 3 beats.
I'll clarify this in the docs.

But the point of whole-bar rest is that composer/copyist doesn't need to care about time signature when using them - at least, that's what I explain to my pupils why it is possible to see the whole rest in bars containing less than 4 quarter beats.

Yes, but the whole point of the duration "1" in LilyPond is that it occupies four quarter notes. :)

In all seriousness, having a \wholeBarRest command would involve a nontrivial amount of extra programming. As long as the documentation is clear as to what R1 vs. R2. does, I think it's ok. BTW, when lily 2.8.2 comes out, please look at the docs and let me know if it's clear (my updates won't be on the web until then). I'm quite open to changing the docs, but you'll need to tell me exactly what to change.

Cheers,
- Graham