Re: Note grace at the begining of a piano piece

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Note grace at the begining of a piano piece
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 11:08:16 -0700

On 10-Apr-06, at 11:00 AM, Tomas Valusek wrote:

I'm learning to use LilyPond and as a pianist I use template introduced in section 3.2.4 of the User Manual. A piece I'm now trying to copy begins with note grace in right hand. Section 6.4.7 says: "A score that starts with a \grace section needs an explicit \new Voice declaration, otherwise the main note and the grace note end up on different staves." Since I'm not (yet) familiar with the LilyPond concept of staves and voices, I'm not sure what to write to the beginning of the \upper variable in template 3.2.4. Can you help me? Many thanks and sorry for bothering you with quite a number of my posts.

Did you get a problem? I'm having a hard time duplicating this bug; the warning in 6.4.7 might be out of date.

In any case, to modify 3.2.4 to use explicit voices, try this:

  upper = \new Voice { \relative c'' {
        \clef treble
        \key c \major
        \time 4/4