Re: Helping with the documentation

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Helping with the documentation
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 19:12:06 +0200

Quoting Bart Kummel <address@hidden>:

One of the reasons that earlier wiki's weren't a big success could be that
people do not want another place to look for documentation. Therefore the
best solution (in my opinion) is to replace the current docs with a wiki. I
think the way the documentation is done now is a little bit oldfashioned. It
may be good for the linux-geeks amongst the lilypond users. But for Windows
users, who generally have less knowledge about operating systems, it is now
not easy to use and/or to contribute.

Actually, one of the earlier wiki's was actually integrated into the manual, so you could click at a button at the bottom of each page in the on-line manual in order to add or read comments, suggestions for
updates and so on. Still, the number of contributions was extremely
small. Actually, I would say that the number of people who have contributed constructively to the documentation over the last months is much larger than we ever had earlier and as long as Graham thinks the editing task is managable, we shouldn't complain.

  /Mats