Re: Contexts (Was Re: Set vs. Override - I'm confused)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Contexts (Was Re: Set vs. Override - I'm confused)
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 11:20:56 +0200

For some time, I have been thinking about adding an introductory text to
the Changing Defaults chapter, which introduces all the main methods
to set context and grob properties with one example for each and links
to the more detailed sections. This would be something along the lines of
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2003-10/msg00195.html
(which of course is outdated now).
My idea was that this should be placed as an introductory section of
the Changing Defaults chapter and I think that there is place for some
similar introductions also in other parts of the reference manual.
For example, we could have a short introduction summarizing
text scripts, text marks and markup. Now there is one section on
each and it's really hard to get the whole picture.

Of course, an alternative is to add these introductory texts in the tutorial,
but then many people who think that they have passed the tutorial stage
will never find it. The target group here is not the beginner but the somewhat
experienced user (as most of us are).

  /Mats

Ralph Little wrote:

Hi,
I too find the context/grob property distinction not clear and I did not
find the online doc any help in getting through this barrier of
understanding. It is the one most powerful aspect of Lilypond, but the
one aspect which is treated the most meanly in the introductory docs.
Even user doing basic stuff need to get into settings and stuff when
changing default behaviour so I think it should be touched on earlier in
the documentation.

If the tutorial could be "beefed up" somewhat in this area, I think
there would be far fewer questions regarding how to find tweaks and
settings through the advanced doc, given that users would be armed with
this important information beforehand.

Wish I had the time to do it myself but sadly I do not :(
Good luck to whoever gets the job ;)

Regards,
Ralph

TRIBAL TECHNOLOGY IS A MEMBER OF THE TRIBAL GROUP plc www.tribalgroup.co.uk
Access, copying, dissemination or re-use of information in it by anyone else is
unauthorised. If you have received this message in error, please contact the
sender as soon as possible.

This message has been scanned for viruses by Viatel MailControl

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology