Re: how to tweak measure padding (global setting)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: how to tweak measure padding (global setting)
Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2006 23:35:46 +0200

Sorry, I pressed Send too quickly.

Quoting Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden>:

If you think LilyPond does something wrong, please send the message to the bug-lilypond mailing list.

Regarding your attempts to set the space-alist:
- Why not start from the default setting and just replace
 the entries in the list that you want to change?
 The default is
\override Score.BarLine #'space-alist = #'(
                        (time-signature . (extra-space . 0.75))
                        (custos . (minimum-space . 2.0))
                        (clef . (minimum-space . 1.0))
                        (key-signature . (extra-space . 1.0))
                        (key-cancellation . (extra-space . 1.0))
                        (first-note . (fixed-space . 1.3))
                        (next-note . (semi-fixed-space . 1.3))
                        (right-edge . (extra-space . 0.0)))
 and the entry you want to modify is probably the one for next-note.
 You may want to try minimum-space instead of the default semi-fixed-space.

- What you specify above is the spacing after the bar line. However, I don't know any method to specify the corresponding spacing
 after the last note of a bar, i.e. the spacing before the bar line.

- Maybe what you see is something related to http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2005-12/msg00027.html
 and  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-lilypond/2005-12/msg00027.html

  /Mats

Quoting Kieren Richard MacMillan <address@hidden>:

[ Lilypond 2.8.1 ]

Hello, all --

Just trying once again...  =)

I am dissatisfied (as, apparently, are some others) by the default padding at the beginning (particularly) and the end (somewhat) of measures in 2.8.1 -- see previous posts for examples/screenshots:
    <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-04/ msg00582.html>
    <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-04/ msg00552.html>
    <http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-04/ msg00315.html>

I can't seem to find a global setting to fix this -- can anyone suggest something?

I've tried messing around with BarLine.space-alist, and although it technically "works", the workaround seems way too fussy (i.e., requires per-measure, multi-attempt tweaking) for how elegant the Lilypond backend usually seems to be. In other words, I figure I must have missed something simple(r)! =)

Thanks,
Kieren.