Re: Which frontend?

From: Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: Which frontend?
Date: Mon, 1 May 2006 13:48:23 -0700

I use an unoriginal combination of xterm, emacs, and xpdf. When I'm
working on a longer project, I can set up xpdf so that it's always
visible and is updated after I've run lilypond:

$ emacs -nw whatever.ly (C-a C-s C-z to save and hide the editor)

$ lilypond whatever.ly

$ xpdf -z 100 -remote myServer whatever.pdf &

$ fg

then after that, all i have to do is

$ lilypond whatever.ly && xpdf -remote myServer whatever.pdf && fg

which, after the first time can just be a matter of hitting the "up"
key followed by the "enter" key. I've found that this is, for me, the
fastest way to go. I'm sure there's a more efficient way of doing what
I've just demonstrated, but I haven't figured it out yet.

One of the advantages of this is that if I'm working remotely, I don't
have to change my environment (well, editor), and the only thing I
have to do differently is upload the resultant pdf to my web server
and view through a browser.

If I'm in KDE, I generally like Kate. For lilypond-book projects, I
have set Kile up to make things easy. I've never really liked jEdit,
so the advantages of the Lilypond tool are lost on me. For me, GUI
frontends make things take longer than just starting with an editor.

Josiah