Re: Object hierarchy in LilyPond?

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: Re: Object hierarchy in LilyPond?
Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 19:30:20 +0200

On 6 mei 2006, at 21:20, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Quoting Erik Sandberg <address@hidden>:

On Tuesday 02 May 2006 09:06, Tomas Valusek wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to figure out an overall object hierarchy of LilyPond. The
only way I've discovered so far is to traverse programmers guide and
follow links. But this is very tedious, since if I want to get something
done in non-default way, this approach is very confusing.

I don't understand. Do you want to see, for each grob type, which tweakable grob properties it has? Or do you want to create a graph that shows which
grobs that belong to which interfaces?

Or the context hierarchy or which engravers are included in each context
or which objects are created by which engraver (or context) or ...

What I would like to see is a model of all the data being used within LilyPond, where each attribute and each entity is clearly and unambiguously defined. This should give a clear definition of the properties that can be set. In a later stage this could then be mapped to Objects to form a process model. (At least in theory). This mapping might learn us when we can set those properties (using \set or \override).

---
No matter what she did with her hair it took about three minutes for it to tangle itself up again, like a garden hosepipe in a shed [Which, no matter how carefully coiled, will always uncoil overnight and tie the lawnmower to the bicycles].

-- (Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies)