Re: Even and odd page-margins [slightly OT]

From: Kieren Richard MacMillan
Subject: Re: Even and odd page-margins [slightly OT]
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 11:08:09 -0400

Hi, Rick:

With the wider margin always falling on the binding spine.

Just for the record...

According to essentially every example in Robert Bringhurst's amazing book, "The Elements of Typographic Style", the internal (spine) gutter should be smaller than the outside (page edge) margin. [There may even be a rule-of-thumb written in there, but I don't have time to scan the text right now...]

I realise it's not always practical to do that, but to my eye it's the correct choice -- when possible, I follow that guideline in all my publications (including musical scores).

Best wishes,
Kieren.