OT: administrivia (was Re: join lily-users mailist please)

From: drl
Subject: OT: administrivia (was Re: join lily-users mailist please)
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:45:21 -0500 (CDT)

>> To: address@hidden
>> From: Jay Hamilton <address@hidden>
>> Subject: join lily-users mailist please
>> Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 19:56:28 +0000 (UTC)
>>
>> I am already entered as
>> address@hidden
>> but would like to be able to use the above email address most.
>> Thanks you
>> Jay

I'm going to reply to Jay's message publicly in the hope that the effort
will help others with similar questions.

First, there are two ways to post to the restricted-posting Lilypond
mailing lists:

1) email your message with a From: address that is subscribed to the list,
or

2) post your message via the appropriate Gmane group interface (which one
is appropriate depends on to which list you want to post).

What Jay wants to do is to be able to post via email from multiple email
addresses.  This can be accomplished by subscribing multiple addresses to
the list of interest and marking the "Mail Delivery" option of all but
one of the addresses as "Disabled".

The subscription process has a few steps but it starts at the URL at
the bottom of this message (and at the bottom of Jay's included message).

Visit this page, enter your address (twice) and list password (twice),
and click "Subscripe".  Note that this page also provides the URL for
the Gmane interface for this list.

* You'll receive a confirmation request email from Mailman with a cookie
that must be returned, either via email reply or by visiting the offered
confirmation URL.

* If you confirm your intent to subscribe, you'll receive a "Welcome to
the XYZ mailing list" message and *that* message will include your personal
options URL for the XYZ mail list.

* Visit your personal options page and you'll find your XYZ Subscription
Options in the last section. The "Mail Delivery" option is (currently)
the first listed option.

To get back to this page, you'll need your list password and your options
URL.  If you lose either of these, you can visit the list general info page
(the URL at the end of each list message) and use the "Unsubscribe or
edit options" button with the address whose options you want to change.
That will take you to a page where you can either enter your password
and proceed or ask for a password reminder.

As a result of the having the ability to have multiple subscribed addresses,
the number of subscribed addresses is greater than or equal to the number
of subscribers.  That why I answered Eduardo V.'s question as I did.

Closing summary:
1) A subscriber can send a message to the Lilypond mailing lists from
any of her or his subscribed mailing lists
2) Others can send a message to the Lilypond lists using an appropriate
Gmane interface.
3) Subscribers can edit options for a subscribed address by starting at
the list info page.
4) The URL for the list info page is found at the bottom of the body of
each message sent from the list (it is also found in the message header).