neo-mensural time signatures

From: Orm Finnendahl
Subject: neo-mensural time signatures
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 00:16:00 +0200

Hi,

I'm trying to typeset a piece of renaissance music in neomensural
style and would like to use the neo-mensural time signature
glyphs. Unfortunately they are preset to decode 3/2 or 2/2 bars
although the tempus imperfectum or perfectum should get translated
into 2 or 3 semibrevis which means in lilypond into 2/1 or 3/1 (for a
thorough explanation in german see section "Weisse Mensuralnotation
(ca. 1430-1600)" at http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mensuralnotation )

The result: If I set the timesignature to 3/2 I get double as many
bars as wanted.

Is there any workaround?

Yours,
Orm

BTW: Is there any good reason for lilypond's translation of the tempus
perfectum into 3/2? Maybe it'd be a good idea to change it altogether
and for good in future versions?