Re: Double time signatures

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Double time signatures
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 10:07:59 +0200

Actually, if you had specified the time signature only in the second
stave, you would have seen the same bug. Another variation of the same
bug is:

\version "2.9.11"
\score {
 <<
   \new Staff \relative c' {
     \time 8/8
     c1
     \acciaccatura c16
     c4 d4 r4 r4
   }
\new Staff \relative c' {
     s1 \bar "||"
     s4 s4 r4 r4

The logic behind the bug is that the grace note happens "before" the
bar line and that any \time or \bar or similar command happens just
at the beginning of the note that follows it, i.e. in your example the
\time command of the second stave happens "after" the grace note of
the first stave. Of course, this logic doesn't make sense musically,
it's just an indication of how the programmers have tried to teach
the computer to handle grace notes.

 /Mats

Henrik Frisk wrote:

OK, I had a feeling I had seen something about it. What throws me off
here is that it's the redundant \time command in the second staff that
makes the difference.

Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

Please read the section on grace notes in the manual.

  /Mats

Henrik Frisk wrote:

Hi,

Just noticed an odd thing with time signatures. The following prints
double time signatures at the beginning of a bar:

\version "2.9.11"
\score {
<<
  \new Staff \relative c' {
    \time 8/8
    \acciaccatura c16
    c4 d4 r4 r4
  }
     \new Staff \relative c' {
    \time 8/8
    s4 s4 r4 r4

Remove the \time 8/8 in the second staff and everythings back to
normal. It only happens when there's a grace note at the beginning of
the bar which leads me to believe that this is a bug???

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology