glissando between non-adjacent notes

From: V!ctor address@hidden
Subject: glissando between non-adjacent notes
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:27:57 -0400

Hi all,

I would like to know if any of you are interested in sharing with me the
cost of sponsoring a glissando feature. (Han-Wen, how much would this
cost?)

The idea is to have a glissando start in  one note and end in another
*non adjacent* note. While looking for ways to do this with Lily, i
found a couple of emails of people wanting the same thing. (
http://www.nabble.com/long-glissando-with-rhythm-question-tf1743455.html#a4738330
)

Currently, Lily assumes a glissando will always connect adjacent notes.
(The sintax works like ties in Lily, where one puts the tie command ~
after the first note)
But many times one needs the glissando to span a duration that cannot be
expressed with a single note, e.g. 1 + 1/4. I've attached a PDF with 2
examples of this (taken from one of my own scores), together with a
proposed syntax for the implementation.
Essentially, these glissandi would work exactly like slurs in Lily,
using one command to start a gliss and another to end it. e.g.
c4\glissStart c16 f8\glissEnd

It is now standard to indicate only the duration of the intermediate
notes *without noteheads* (again, refer to the pdf example). Whether
this would be done by Lily automatically i don't know... one could
simply hide the head of the intermediate notes. I guess the ideal would
be to have a boolean option for this new feature, where one could say
something like Glissando #'hide-middle-notes = ##t

hope some of you are interested,

best.

Victor Adan.

--